Friday, October 10, 2008

to be a blogger


Here's proof we did the zip line of the Costa Rican rain forest canopy as I mentioned at the end of this post :) This was after our wedding in Costa Rica in 2001. This was the first of two of these type of zip lines we did...this was more scary because you had to break yourself with your hand in a leather glove, though I found that hard to do because my hand was getting hot and beginning to hurt. The second place we ziplined, ear Arenal volcano, was a lot more professional and you had a mechanical brake, but mostly the guides took care of stopping you.









































There they are, the joys of my life! My husband the love of my life. Prince Charming & Mr. Right (okay, minus the nose hair he might be perfect, but he IS human) -the man that puts up with an amazing amount of ...everything from me. More on that later. And my three favorite kids in the world: Olivia 1o, Grace 5, and Isaiah 3 (aka Darth Vader, but not as scary giving me the double thumbs up!). 

 Alright,  that's the description on a good day. On a bad day, I want to sell them to the zoo (which I threaten regularly), pull my hair out, run screaming to the hills (or at least to the grocery store which is usually my retreat of choice, from a rough day,  once Jerry gets home) any moms, esp. home school moms can give an "amen" there? I love my kids, I love my man, but somedays, I need a little more personal space, a moment's peace (at least in the bathroom -is that too much to ask?!?)

I've been reflecting a lot on a lot of things. 
-Why we choose to homeschool, why I wouldn't change that (unless my kids really, really really wanted to give "real" school a try,  and it wasn't just because at the moment I was making them do spelling , math or an EDUCATIONAL computer game :), 
-Why I can't wait to get to Africa and see how I can be of use to the children of Africa, orphans of Africa, and Africa Inland Mission in the time I'm not home schooling; 
-and what it feels like to be in the shadow of the valley of depression.
-and how far I've come, no, -scratch that- how far GOD HAS BROUGHT ME since being the rebellious pregnant and unwed  freshman at the Christian college MY parents (both pastors and missionaries) went to,  to today -being a missionary myself, having been on staff at a church as Children's Ministry Director, and making it through college as a single mom to finally get my teaching degree and even, gasp, being successful at it enough to win an award as student teacher of the year. God is amazing...taking the broken pieces of my life that I shattered and making them into a beautiful mosaic. That's the business my God is in, miracles and amazing transformations.
Jerry & I have a blog that is mainly for the purpose of communicating about our ministry of reaching Africa through aviation with Africa Inland Mission. But I felt I needed a place to "journal" if you will, to purge my thoughts and feelings, and find out if there's anyone out there that feels the same. 

Maybe on some things you will think I'm off base, maybe you agree. Maybe you want to dialogue with me...since this cool technological tool of today, the blog, exists, I'm going to give it a shot instead of my traditional random notebook that would end up 
misplaced in a pile in a drawer somewhere, in favor of a cooler looking notebook with all fresh pages. 

So here it is, my inaugural blog post...along  with, of course, photos of my kids. :) I'm a visual learner, you see, so I MUST have photos to make my blog visually appealing.

I've got thoughts I want to share...on depression, on halloween, macs (vs. the pc, not mac 'n' cheese...maybe someday I'll long to post on that, how I wish they made a boxed whole wheat version, but I digress), hair dye, tattoos, other stuff....but it's time to make dinner for my fam and then go to a  mother/daughter sleepover with 
Olivia, So it will have to wait. 
Later, Breanna Friday, Oct. 10,2008


P.S. I mention in my very long sidebar (at right) that among my favorites are the preacher Erwin McManus; the tv show, The Office; and it's not listed as one of my favs, but kind of a given, I believe, since I am from there...Costa Rica. So it was with sheer joy, on listening to Erwin McManus' latest podcast, I shrieked with joy (internally, because I am lying on the couch with mostly flu-like syptoms) when Erwin's opening sermon illustration was about the last Office 
episode and his travels to Costa Rica, and how Toby, from the Office, fell from a zip line through the rainforest canopy and broke his neck. I've done that (the zip line part, not that the falling from the zip line part)!!! Jerry & I, in fact all of my family (the adults anyway) did that on our wedding trip in 2001. Wahoo!!!! Besides that, it was a very timely message and incredible. You should definitely check it out...you can find it at Mosaic.org/podcasts it's the message for 9/28/08, from the "Falling Forward" message series, entitled, "Fear"(the Erwin McManus' one, not Hank Fortener...Hank's I'm sure is great too, but haven't listened to that,  and can't imagine he would use the same illustrations as my main man, Erwin.)



2 comments:

Sarah said...

Super stoked about your new blog! Thanks for sharing.

And it's so true how just a few minutes in the bathroom is all the "alone time" ya can get in a day!

Can't wait for more posts.

Happy Wife said...

So great to get to read your blog and hear your thoughts! I can't wait to learn more about you!

Looking forward to the future!