Tuesday, November 03, 2009

"It is very kind to send us food, but this is Africa and we are used to being hungry..."

Sorry, my first post in months I meant it to be a little more lighthearted....but Sudan has been on my heart for years, and is much of the reason we choose to live and work here in Africa. In fact, I had a dream I lived in Darfur with my children -before I even knew where Darfur was. This dream occurred years before we planned to live in Kenya in order to somehow help the people of Sudan



As the time draws near for the first vote in 24 years in Sudan and a referendum for the independence of Southern Sudan is proposed....almost all I talk to who have recently been in Sudan believe war is imminent.

I have been studying up on the Sudanese civil war to understand their history.  Right now I'm reading Emma's War by Deborah Scroggins. What are your suggestions for further reading?

Last week my husband flew into Sudan for the first time since we've been here in Africa, and he will much more once his Kenyan pilot's license is granted(remember, TIA, This Is Africa, everything takes a long time.)...so to me, my husband and our co-workers, this is important. But I don't pretend that OUR family is making some great sacrifice. We do not live in Sudan and our children do not have pictures to draw, like Aisha does...

"It is very kind to send us food, but this is Africa and we are used to being hungry. What I ask is that you please take the guns away from the people who are killing us."  -Aisha, a child in the Darfur region of Sudan, who was eight years old when her village was attacked.

The International Criminal Court is accepting supporting evidence of children's drawings of the alleged crimes committed in Darfur.

Here's the story and the kids' drawings

No comments: